This weekend our hospital held its annual Walk to Remember.
This was the last 'first' I would have to face since Rebekah went to Heaven.
This was the last 'first' I would have to face since Rebekah went to Heaven.
The reading of the names of the babies represented was so touching.
It was so important for me to attend this ceremony.
I knew I would never get to hear Rebekah's name being read at a graduation or a wedding ceremony, but at least I would hear her name being said out loud that day.
We each received a stone with tiny footprints to remember the walk and the steps we took that our little ones wouldn't.
And after this emotional day, we walked into our house to hear our doorbell ring.
We thought it was just another politician (ha), but it was our local florist delivering beautiful flowers from our friends.
The daisies got me because they reminded me of Rebekah's hairbows.
God was so good to place our family on this family's hearts on this day.
His timing is always perfect!

11 joyful people left comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom had a similar experience 37 years ago . . . on the same day that she last felt movement, she went into labor and lost her Natalie to the same cause. Although I wasn't born yet, I know it was an event that was life-changing for her. She carries Natalie in her heart and her birthstone on her ring.
May your heart continue to heal as you face seconds and thirds. Until Jesus comes.
Another milestone. It sounds like a wonderful, though bittersweet, day. Much love.
We have a Walk to Remember in our hometown too, and you know what? In the almost 7 years since Janie Rose has passed away, and since we've had our three miscarriages, I have never, ever been able to go to the event, not once. I wonder if I will ever be able to, now that Olivia has flown too? I doubt it, it is just too painful for me.
I love the symbolism of letting the balloons go and I'm glad they included that, and I like the way you released the balloons as a family after Rebekah's name was read. That's really special! We're writing notes to Olivia and attaching them to balloons and releasing them at The Babies' shower on Saturday.
I know your heart is battered, friend, but Jesus holds your heart very tenderly and He sees each and every tear you cry! I'm praying for you, dear.
I love how god takes care of even the little details. I think those sometimes mean the most to us.
Susan
this was beautiful to read. <3
Oh Karen, you brought tears to my eyes! I remember doing one of these walks the first year after my nephew died - definitely a special memory.
And as I read your words about your Rebekah, I'm reminded again of the sense of responsibility her little life always makes me feel - that THIS Rebekah Joy wants live in such a way that YOUR Rebekah Joy and my nephew and other babies' lives cry out with purpose and meaning! Thank you for that reminder!
What beautiful symbolism. Glad you were emotionally able to do it. I love when you wrote how special hearing her name would be. I found a little poem after our Amy went home to the Lord. I hope it blesses you as it did me.
Here it is:
THE MENTION OF HER NAME
Author unknown
The mention of her name,
May bring tears to my eyes,
But it never fails to bring
Music to my ears.
If you are really my friend,
Let me hear
The beautiful music of her name,
It soothes my broken heart
And sings to my soul.
This was such a sweet post. I wish that we had a walk to remember here. Praying for you!
How precious, Karen! I'm thankful you have these wonderful opportunities to remember Rebekah and to honor her memory while remembering the goodness of God to you through all of this. I know there are still hard days ahead, dear friend, and your joy and your grief will come and go, so please know I continue to pray for you, and hug you from across the miles. Love you!
What precious friends to reach out to you in such a bittersweet time. I know you had to love hearing her name called out.. even if it was to release balloons to her... and I'm thankful you were in company of those who truly understand your pain. My heart goes out to you completely. I hope the day will be a special memory. *HUGS* Cass
I'm glad that they do a walk. I wish my hospital did. I love the stone they gave you.
Post a Comment