Monday, November 28

The Tablecloth Dress

Well, my little bubble of having my husband home for Thanksgiving vacation has popped. I sent him off to work this morning with a 'sigh.' Now my life must pick back up with school and lunches and laundry and refereeing. But I wouldn't trade my wonderful life with anyone=).

It is a tradition in our house that each girl has to wear the handmade fall dress, nicknamed "The Tablecloth Dress" by the family, at Thanksgiving. So, now it is Samantha's turn =). I remember being so proud of myself when I made this dress 16 years ago... It was one of my first sewing projects. But what was I thinking when I picked out this material? It has been a source of laughter through the years as we look at family photos.


I couldn't bear to allow  her to keep this on too long. But what a fun family tradition that has become. Now it is off to her memory box and maybe someday she(or one of my other girls) will continue the tradition.

Happy Monday!




7 joyful people left comments:

Leanne said...

Karen!!

I happen to think the fabric is awful cute....And it looks like Samantha thinks so too, the way she is staring at it with wonder in the first photo!!

What a fun memory! I have handed down all of my girls' clothes to each girl, and it's a fun tradition for us and the girls to say, "I remember when so-and-so wore that!"

It'll be fun to have my girls, and your girls continue the tradition, won't it??

Take care!!

Elaine said...

She is so beautiful. And I love the little dress. What a FUN tradition.

It reminds me of a dress my Amy made. It was her first and only attempt at sewing. A friend taught her. I am taking the clothes I have left that belonged to her and a friend is making a small quilt from them. Please pray with me that it will turn out as I have envisioned. I have kept them all these years(since she went home to Jesus in 1998) and recently saw where someone had a quilt made from her mother's clothes. It was beautiful. So...I am doing the same thing. It is my Christmas gift to me. :)

Ashleigh said...

I don't think Samantha minds the dress either. She looks cute as ever!

That reminds me of a HIDEOUS vest in Patrick's closet. Patrick's Mom saved it for him. It's sort of a snake skin print with wool inside. It's quite awful! It must be a size 4 or 5, about Luke's size, but NO WAY am I putting it on him!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lori said...

I think it's adorable!!!! And a great tradition too!!!!!
xoxoxoxo

Donna said...

What a cute idea! Samantha doesn't seem to mind the fabric at all! ;)

Have a blessed day!

Jennifer said...

That is such a neat tradition! She is too adorable!

Cassidy said...

I think the little dress is so cute and I LOVE this tradition! She is so beautiful. What a special time for her to look back to and I do hope they continue the tradition passing the dress back and forth for pictures of your granddaughters!
Smiles, Cass

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios