Saturday, January 23

Heart of Thankfulness

Thank you all for all the sweet and encouraging comments from my
last post. You are part of my healing and I thank God for you often.

This year my word is

As part of my morning quiet time, I decided to jot down a verse from my reading and reflect with a few words on that verse. 
 Then inspired by this site, I decided to write 5 things I am thankful for each day.  At first it was easy and predictable...water, electricity, God's Word, my salvation....but after a couple of weeks I really had to dig for things to list.  Isn't that pitiful?

This has been truly become a spiritual exercise for me.  Now, instead of thinking of what has been taken, I am focusing on what has been given...an unexpected email from a friend, three little bodies squishing me on the couch, my alarm clock that I have a love-hate relationship but gets me up for my quiet time, restful sleep, quiet walks with my husband.... 

Well, I think God is wanting me to get this lesson because my precious prayer partner gave me this book this week.



In this book, Nancy writes "gratitude truly is my life preserver.  Even in the most turbulent waters, choosing gratitude rescues me from myself and my runaway emotions. It buoys me on the grace of God and keeps me from drowning in what otherwise would be my natural bent toward doubt, negativity, discouragement, and anxiety."

This resonated with my soul and reminded me of a post a precious blogger,  wrote on fighting for joy.  I have found myself fighting for joy since Rebekah went to heaven.  But I truly believe it is a fight worth fighting and it begins with me having a grateful heart. 

 The book goes on to say "Over time, choosing gratitude means choosing joy. But that choice doesn't come without effort and intentionally.  It's a choice that requires constantly renewing  my mind with the truth of God's Word, setting my heart to savor God and His gifts, and disciplining my tongue to speak words that reflect His goodness and grace--until a grateful spirit becomes my reflexive response to all of life."

Whew, I have a long way to go, but I think it is worth the work and the fight!


" Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and perform your vows to the Most High." Psalm 50:14

4 joyful people left comments:

Carol said...

Glad to find you "fighting for joy". I feel your sorrow and know how much you miss Rebekah, but you seem like a strong spiritual woman and God is there with you giving you strength. "Weeping may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning."
Psalm 30:5. I went through a long terrible feel sorry for myself, can't possibly go on depression when my mama died. I have made it 5 years, at first, barely putting one foot in front of the other. The pastor read that verse to us the night mom died. He said the problem with that verse is timing. What is a night and when is it morning? That can be different to different people. Weeping may last for the night....that could mean years....but joy comes in the morning....I think that means...sometime, someday, the joy will return. I love that you are fighting for it!

Tracy: said...

Beautiful! A thankful heart sure does take effort, doesn't it. Even when HE heaps blessings on me..I can become easily distracted and forget ot thank HIM for everthing..even the small things! Oh How He Loves Us!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Molly said...

What a neat idea to think of 5 things each day. I have not read that Nancy Leigh DeMoss book...I need to get it. Thanks for sharing the quotes from that book. They are powerful.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

i love you, my friend. keep fighting the good fight!

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios