Thursday, September 23

Game night



This week I took a challenge that this blog posted earlier...to get down on the ground and take a picture of your surroundings. I am so glad I was able to catch this moment...my five year old's chubby little arm, the kids all sprawled out on the floor enjoying a favorite game, everyone getting along ...

They just rediscovered the game of Life and have been playing it the past few days. 
 I am not a big fan of that game, but they have really enjoyed it.
It is probably because it involves money =)...

When I was growing up, my parents had this game that scared the beejeebies out of my brothers and me. Dark Shadows.
 Do you remember that TV show? We were never allowed to watch scary movies, but somehow this game made it past my parents' otherwise pretty conservative radar.

 I remember my brother and I playing this once, not realizing the premise of the game. And after that we were so-o-o-o scared. I don't know why we didn't tell my parents, but I remember that we shoved the game in the back of our closet. 
But we always knew it was there =(....
Such an example of why I am vigilant about what I allow my kids to play with or watch=)...

On a happier note, I loved Scrabble and Yahtzee as a child. Still do.
Except when I played Scrabble with my Aunt who had the whole Scrabble Dictionary memorized=).

Now, I like playing Rummikub and Sequence with the family. 

So, what are your favorite family games?

8 joyful people left comments:

Karin said...

Your photos of these every-day moments will be so special to your kids when they are older!

We didn't play many board games as a family after the kiddie ones, though I remember playing Yahtzee and Rummy with my grandma. As an adult, a great night with my husband is Scrabble or Phase 10, wine and cheese. With friends, we like a good game of Monopoly, Settlers of Catan, or Catchphrase with a party group.

Shandrea said...

I remember the show dark shadows but i didn't know that was a game. My Hubby and I love playing poker together, when the family is around we like Taboo (that's my favorite) charades, and of course there's always a spades or dominoe game going on.

Ashleigh said...

I love this picture! Since Luke is still small, our games are pretty limited, but we do like Go fish, the Diego 123 game, and Yahtzee Jr (princess version of course)

Have a great day Karen!

I don't know dark shadows, but I do remember my Mom making me turn my head during some movies when I was small!

Leanne said...

Our kids LOVE to play LIFE!! It's basically an all-night game here, with all of the kids playing it...

You captured fun memories with that photo.

I've never heard of Dark Shadows, but the name alone gives me a clue!

Our kids love Risk, Yahtzee, Candyland, any type of card games.....

Take care!

Elaine said...

I love your photos.
One of our favorite family games is Upwords. It is similar to scrabble but you can build your word on top of other words.
We also enjoy Pit when we are in a mood to be loud. :)

Trisha said...

We love playing games, too, Karen. I like Rummikub, too, but my husband thinks I'm too good at it. :) We also enjoy the variations of Uno and dominoes are great too. Sequence is also a favorite of ours, too.

Susan said...

My girls love Life too. we also like to play cards and Millborne. Monopoly is mot a hit in our house. Everytime we play it me and my oldest get into really bad moods so that game probably should be banned from our household.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

My boys love Life, Monopoly, Sorry, Battleship and Stratego.

But as a family, we stick to Uno, Skip-bo and Settlers of Catan. Good times!!!

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios