Friday, September 3

I am not a real doctor; I just play one on tv.....



Yesterday my "I will" became "I did."

After months of my oldest's reminders, I finally pulled out my sewing kit to sew her gold star on her Taekwondo uniform.
10,000 push ups!

And as I was working with that stubborn patch, I noticed out of the corner of my eye my two youngest dashing to their rooms.
Within a few minutes, they emerged with armloads of beloved companions...all needing repairs...from tucking in stuffing to more major surgery.

"Mommy, will you fix Underdog? He has a boo-boo."
"Mommy, this butterfly's stuffing is coming out.."
"Mommy, will you....?"

And for one minute, my heart stopped.
  How many times have I heard those requests, only to respond with, "I will" ?
But the "I will" never came... I became too busy with lunches to be made or papers to be graded or floors to be scrubbed.
And now my "I wills" all piled up in front of me, pleading with their beady little eyes and limp little limbs of stuffing.

So I began mending and releasing, stuffing and handing over, stitching and sending off...
until the pile was no more.

You would have thought I gave them the world with their huge grins and embraces.
I am not so sure I didn't.


So, yesterday my "I will" became "I did."



And after everyone was all tucked in for the night...those I love and those they love, I went to sleep feeling like I accomplished something.

In fact, I know "I did."


Posted by Picasa

10 joyful people left comments:

Jennifer said...

Now this is a sweet post! It made me go look at the stuffed animals piled on my dresser awaiting surgery as well. I guess I need to get out my sewing kit and go to work. Have a wonderful labor day weekend. Still praying for you and your family. xoxo

belle said...

oh yeah, i know THAT place..... so many times i find myself saying, "later" or "i can't right now" and i think the guilt will just crush me right there.....

i love those rare moments when life just gets shoved aside and i can sit do what i really want to be doing! i love the moments when i can say , "yep! let's do it right now!"

Karin said...

That is so sweet! What a wonderful day. I especially like the group picture of your patients.

I love the new blog look! I'm sorry if it's not so new, and I just haven't been by in awhile. :)

Susan said...

O.k. i need to work on my "I will's". I tend to do this but never get it accomplished. Thanks for reminding me that the little things really sometimes mean the most.

Ashleigh said...

How sweet! I am like you, the sewing kit NEVER comes out! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Elaine said...

Loved this post and pictures.

Your blog is so pretty!

Donna said...

Aww, that is wonderful, Karen! Isn't it amazing...the things we think are so little are so incredibly important to our children. I am glad that you shared your experience...

Have a great week, my friend!

Micky D said...

This post brought back so many memories from when my children were small and their requests to fix booboos on their stuffed animals and dolls. I have made several "I will" comments to my grandchildren in the past few days...I will fulfill those requests tomorrow (only this time I mean it).

Elaine said...

I keep coming to your blog for a new post. I hope everything is OK with you.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

*sniff* so sweet.

i say "just a minute" way too often.

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios