Wednesday, October 28

Grief

Here is a picture of my Blessing Ring (I got the idea from Katie's Keepers' blog. I still do not know how to link. That is on my list to learn this weekend=)). It doesn't look like it, but there are a lot of cards on this ring! In fact, the ring is about to break...I'll need to get another one. What a blessing it is to pray over these precious families in the morning!
Today was an extremely weepy day. It was my first day to drive. First on my list was to get Maggie's cookies for my sweet doctor. We have a tradition to give cookies to our doctor after our babies are born. I didn't want to miss this opportunity. To tell her how blessed we were that she was with us at the beginning of Rebekah's life and also at the end.

I was doing okay on my errands until I instinctively reached out and touched my tummy and started talking to Rebekah. My heart quickly sank when I realized what I had done. She had been my constant companion all these months. I can't count how many times she had kicked the steering wheel and I would respond with " Well, hello, my little girl. How are you today? I can't wait to hold those strong, little feet!"

Immediately the tears flowed and by the time I went to Dale's office I felt like a heavy veil of grief had descended upon me. I told Dale why I was crying...how my heart was breaking. He gently reminded me that I could still talk to Rebekah.

So I did. I told her how much she was wanted. How much she is loved and missed. Then through tears, I pleaded with God to tell her how much I love her. Although His love is probably so encompassing that she may not need my love. That's okay. I will still continue to love her until my last heartbeat!

Grief is a sneaky, unwelcomed little visitor. It shows up, sometimes, when I least expect it. And it likes to linger past its welcome. I wonder how long will I expect its visits....
"So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away you joy."
John 16:22

5 joyful people left comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you guys. We all know she in a better place than we can ever imagine. We think about you guys a lot and you are constantly in our prayers. Just take it a day at a time and with God's help it will get easier. She knows how much you guys love her and she is watching over you everyday.
-Bethany

Donna said...

Karen, your blessing ring turned out beautifully! I hope it will continue to be a source of joy for you.
Continuing to uplift you and yours in prayer...

Katie said...

Karen ~ What a beautiful verse. Thank you for sharing this hope.

I am so sorry about your Rebekah. Reese and Rebekah in Heaven sitting on Jesus' lap. What a sight! Although I know you would much rather have her here with you (me, too!).

Take your time with Rebekah's crib. Reese's crib is still up, and I will leave it up until we have another baby. I just can't "go there." Go easy on yourself, friend.

I love the Blessing ring.I hope you feel blessed every time you look at it. May you rest in GOD's care and compassion tonight.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

That is a lovely blessing ring.

Don't ever stop telling God exactly how you feel. Even though He knows your heart, there is a cleansing peace when you can just let it all out. Because when you speak and ask, He always answers!

After my Christian died, I caught myself looking for him or accidentally calling one of my other boys by his name. It does get less hard with each day. But Rebekah will be a part of you forever-- and one day you will be able to hold her close-- without ever having to let go! Hold on to that hope, that assurance through Jesus Christ!

Debra said...

I have asked the Lord to tell my children things too.

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios