Life in blog land keeps posting along when you step away for a few days=). I'll need to get caught up on everyone's blogs once I get my computer back. Arrrg...silly computer! Somehow I picked up a nasty bug and it is with the 'surgeons' getting patched up. Now I am on my husband's lap top which is making me very dizzy. So I can't visit you all until my 'puter comes back. I love reading your comments, though! You encourage my heart!!!
This past week, I have started a study on prayer (with The Lord's Prayer) because I desire to be a strong prayer warrior. Prayer is so powerful, but I feel sometimes I often don't realize just how powerful it could be. It is sometimes much 'easier' to do good for people, than to spend time in prayer for people. Jesus never taught his disciples to preach, only how to pray. Knowing how to speak to God is more powerful than speaking to man!
This week I was reading Matthew 7:
"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks receive, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it shall be opened."
(Matthew 7:7)
(Matthew 7:7)
I need to remember how important it is to ask God--not man, not my husband, not my friends. In these passages (Matt 7:7-11), Jesus mentions 'ask' five times. I think He wanted us to grasp how important it is to ask of God. Even the first letter of the three imperatives: Ask, Seek, Knock, makes the acrostic of ASK. Those three words cry out to ask! He never tires in hearing our prayers and our asking.
I used these passages to give me a mental picture of what God is wanting us to do . I have precious neighbors who would help me out in a pinch. Now what if I was about to have some of my dear friends over for a dinner only to realize that my stove is not working (this has really happened, but in reverse)? So what will I do then? Have a melt down, panic, cry? The correct response would go to my neighbor's house and ask if I could use their stove. If I don't get an answer then I will start seeking. I'll go around to the backyard or the side of their house looking for them. If I still don't get an answer, I am going to continue to intensely seek that neighbor...so I will start knocking on the door.
I just need to continue to ask, seek and knock.
I am eager to hear your thoughts on prayer. Do you keep a Prayer Journal? Do you have a routine? Do you have a Prayer Closet?

9 joyful people left comments:
Ohhhhhh Karen....what a divinely appointed post! Not only that you would choose to post this verse (which, being presented to me the SECOND time today tells me is one of God's messages to me and I better buck up and pay attention) but also that you would slip in that little part about asking GOD not MAN. Hmmm didn't God just say that very thing to me earlier today and I doubted it was His voice? Guess He put that one to rest.
Lately, in the desert journey (which is more hot and dry than I knew possible...) I have taken solace on a square of carpet at the end of my bed. It's a little rug on the hardood floor and to me it has become God's Throne. It's soft, and I just curl up on it (or lay out on my face if it's a particularly bad day) and imagine God holding me in His great lap...
I pray literally everywhere right now. It's necessary for my next breath, it feels. But I do love that little square of carpet.
Wow, how very interesting. I don't have a journal or a prayer closet. But i like you am learning. I am seeking to have a better prayer life. Eventhough i have been slackin in improving that lately. But i do pray for otheres. When i tell someone i am praying for them or sending prayers I do. Sometimes they are not very long as i am still learning how to pray really, but it is sincere and i find comfort in that. I enjoyed this post and would love updates and finding what you've learned in this study. Sending you hugs.
WOW~ I too, have been convicted in my quiet time about turning to others and caring too much about the ways of the world rather than turning to God, knowing he loves me or ME! I am sending you an email with a great story but too long to share here!
THANKS!
Thank you for this inspiration Karen. I have started praying more lately; and an ashamed to say that it's just been lately. I don't have a prayer closet or spot, sometimes it's in the car line for school, sometimes before bed, before the kids go to sleep, or we do something together.
I think it's truly like our pastor said - God is our Father. He wants to help us, just like our Dad's want to help us. He feels honored & loved by us when we seek him for advise.
I hope your family has a great Fathers Day!
Having a solid prayer life is so important...and something I hope that He continues to instill in me. I really felt like I needed to spend more time in prayer for my husband, and our marriage. I recently started reading "Power of A Praying Woman". Have learned a lot so far.
This is my life verse given to me by my parents when I was in high school. I have found so many times in the years since that meditating on these words brings such peace to my mind and heart.
Peaceful thoughts your way - have meant to respond to your kind email and the days are just so busy. But you've been on my mind. One of my favourite hymns is Seek Ye First and that melody came immediately to my mind as I read your post about this verse. ;0)
Karen...you are so right about the importance of prayer. One of the things that changed my prayer life was joining a Moms in Touch group. We pray scripture and focus on the four steps of prayer...Praise, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Intercession. It really helps me set the tone by focusing on who God is and praising Him...everything else seems so small in comparison and prepares my heart for prayer. Confession naturally follows. Thanksgiving overflows for what He has done for us. And then...intercession for myself and others, pouring out my heart and requests. It is also important in prayer to take the time to focus on His word and listen to what He is trying to whisper to our hearts. Sometimes we forget that part, I think! (at least I do!)
Thanks for sharing this post! Love to you...
No prayer closet, although now I have a big enough one to fit into. I think your timing is PERFECT in mentioning it! I need to make space in it.
While I don't keep a prayer journal, I do try to write down those prayers that burden my heart deeply and put the date next to it. Then when God answers one way or another, I like to record that as well.
When we count our blessings and remember all that He has done for us when things are "normal", it helps us to better deal with the "no" and "not now" in the difficult times.
Post a Comment