This year I tried a new approach to Christmas. I just felt the need to simplify, so 5 boxes of decorations went back up in the attic unopened. However, there were a few decorations that meant a lot to me and I wanted to keep out. They were my nativities.
This one was passed on to me this year by Dale's precious mother. I cherish this simple handmade nativity. It brings back so many sweet memories of Christmas Eves at her house.
Dale comes from a big family and every Christmas Eve they all gather at his Mom's house for dinner and fellowship. My family is very small, so being included in this celebration means so much to me.
I remember the second Christmas that Dale and I started dating and I was 'girlfriend worthy' to bring to this family gathering. That was such a sweet time and I distinctly remember stopping in his Mom's foyer admiring this old nativity on my way out. It is now worn for the wear with having survive all the grandchildren and a few pieces are broken, but that just makes it more precious to me.
This second nativity is one that my sweet husband has gifted me piece-by-piece through the years. I love this one so much that I have often toyed with the idea to leave it out all year.
And finally, this nativity was my first teacher's gift from one of my second grade students the first year I taught. This brings back such tender memories of that first class and the friendships I developed through that teaching job. I love to put this out every Christmas, along with the ornaments my students gave me through the years. Most of them now have families of their own, so I feel very old as I look at those ornaments=).


3 joyful people left comments:
I love the second nativity. Is it willow tree? I would keep it out all year it is beautiful.
I love the story behind the first one! Precious. :)
I do have several nativities that we keep out. When we got married, we honestly had 6 combined. We decided to narrow it down to three to keep out. One is the starter set of the Willow Tree. Someday I would like to add on to it! Another one that I love, is the Charlie Brown Nativity that was given to me as a gift this year.
These are beautiful! My favorite nativity is not mine, but belongs to my brother. It came from Woolworth's 5 & 10, and he bought it when he was growing up in the 4o's & 50's. It probably cost pennies, but it is simple, beautiful, & full of memories.
Post a Comment