Monday, February 8

Stopping

We got a surprise snow here today. 
 It was beautiful, but I think it put me in a sad mood. 
 I have been doing well lately, but today I felt a little down, gloomy...longing...


 By having a "snow day" we were forced to all slow down.
No errands or practices or shopping.
Just school.
A little Mario Kart.
Snowball fights. 
Hot cocoa.
 Warm showers and soft pjs. 
"Mom, I never knew a shower could feel so good."
And then it was us.
A little bickering.
"Moooommmm, she touched me."
" I'm 'twirsty.' I'm hungry. Can I have a snack? "
A little loving.
All stuck inside.  Together.  As a family.
Signing Valentines and stuffing bags with candy.
Picking the right valentine to give to each friend.
Then all went to bed and immediately fell asleep.
 I looked at them and listened. 
To their steady rhythm of breathing.
And I wasn't so gloomy anymore. 
And I thank God that for one day everything stopped and
I was here with my family.



"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."  James 4:14

7 joyful people left comments:

My life said...

I love this Karen. Thank you for sharing your heart and your family with us. You paint a picture with words of what life can be like in your home, your family sounds darling.

Anonymous said...

Snow days are such a perfect opportunity to take pause at life. I know how hard doing so can be, but I am glad you were able to find some contentment.

And yeah, I was a bit nervous about the study as well! I'm sure it will be fine, but I've never told Madelyn's story out loud - everyone in real life followed my story from the beginning, so to share from start to finish - that is going to be hard. But I'm sure it will be healing as well.

Meredith said...

Beautiful!!! Amazing how you turned your gloomy, sad feelings to think like that... I can empathize with your "snowy blues," but this just picked me right up!

Anna S. said...

Family....so important, and I didn't realize how much I took them for granted and would miss them until I actually left.

Donna said...

Hi, Karen,
So glad that you were able to enjoy the snow day...these days with our kids are going by so much more quickly than I ever thought possible! I hope you're doing well today. Praying for you, sweet friend!

Tammy@Fear Not said...

Sleeping children makes the days seem sweeter!

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

beautiful.

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios