Friday, April 16

Guidepost

At the beginning of the year I picked the word Abide as my theme for the year.  This word has permeated and challenged me in so many aspects of my life...in ways that I never expected.  Abiding  is a verb which means action and to me,  means that even though I am resting in Him, I have to work to make sure I am willing and doing just that. That seems so contradictory of that word, but this is how I am wrapping my mind around it.


This week has one of those weeks when the importance of abiding in Him has been clearly demonstrated.  It has been a very busy week and I struggled with not feeling well (kidney infection).  It has also been a milestone with Rebekah's anniversary.  I have continued to do my Bible Studies and helping my children with their Scripture memorization, but I have not had spent the last few mornings reading and meditating and resting in His Word.  I have been in His Word, but for me, there is a difference in reading snippets to actually spending time with it in the morning.


So, as you can guess, I have been spiritually, emotionally and physically weary this week. I have felt the darts of the enemy that have nicked my skin. I have been struggling with moving forward in my grief, but listening to the lies that if I do, Rebekah will be forgotten. That by moving forward, I will show that she really didn't matter.  That I am abandoning her. All those are lies, but when you are weak, you begin to entertain those thoughts.


So this morning I made an effort to have my morning quiet time. These are the verses I read:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday...
Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
 No evil shall befall you...
Psalm 91



What a drink of cool water for my weary soul! Now I am once again reminded why it is important to spend time in His Word at the beginning of my day. The subtitle for Psalm 91 in my Bible is : Safety of Abiding in the Presence of God.  When I don't consciously make an effort to abide in Him, my perception is clouded with my grief and I start having an earthly mindset instead of a heavenly mindset. I admit this is a discipline for me. But when I do seek Him in the morning, I feel so renewed and wonder why--oh,why--do I continue to think I can do this on my own strength.

This is a long post, but I wrote this mainly for me as a reminder...a guidepost pointing me toward the right direction in my grief journey. I thank the Lord for His patience. And I am so grateful that I have Him to rest my weary head and my tender heart.

9 joyful people left comments:

Susan said...

AMEN!!!
Beautifully said.

Karin said...

You have made me think about abiding in a way I haven't before. What a wonderful word. I'm glad you were able to have your quiet time this morning!

Lori said...

Completely and totally agreed. I'm in the process of disciplining myself for my own good as well. It makes such a difference in the power we feel when we are in the shelter of the Lord! Lots of love, sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Karen, this is one the powerful Psalms for me...to rest, to abide in the One, the Only One Who truly holds me when I need to be held, hugged, touched, and reassured. He protects me from those darts of evil and lies. The pinion feathers of the protective bird over her chicks amazingly protects those little ones. I once heard a story about firemen fighting a forest fire and finding a dead mother bird yet the babies were under her pinion feathers alive and well. I get a wonderful picture of God protecting me in those words of the Psalm.
Reassurance. Oh how we need that.
loving you, ~ linda

Shandrea said...

Thank you for that Karen,
that scripture was also a reminder to me as well. Thank you for this post b/c I myself have been slacking on the quality time that i spend with God. I hope this weekend is a nice one for you. Sending you hugs.

Elaine said...

Just today I was feeling down and realized that my time with the Lord has not been much more than my Bible study. While that is good, I need to be in His presence. The Lord spoke to my heart through your post...and I WILL take time in the mornings for Him.

Trisha said...

Such a beautiful post, Karen. Once you really spend time with Him each morning, the snippets just won't do, will they. I crave my time with Him each morning, and I can truly feel the neglect when it happens. I cry with you even though I know I can't understand fully the depths of your pain, but I often think of what encouragement you will have to offer others because you've walked this painful path while never abandoning His truth.

Gardenia said...

I missed this post. glad I scrolled down and found it. It is truly beautiful. I feel your grief right through the page. and how truly perfect that you found Psalm 91 that morning. Isn't it just so, the way God places things right in front of us when we need them ? and yes, you are concerned that if people see you living "normally" they will think your grief is gone, and you know that could never be the case. I am praying for you now, that God will carry you and your grief and lessen it so you can enjoy joy of life once more, and not feel as though your Rebekah will be umimportant, or that people will think that is the case. Rebekah will always be a very large part of you and your heart. Who you have become is influenced much by Rebekah. And people will see that, I believe. blessings.

Holly said...

He's the water when we are thristy! I am glad you were able to be reminded.

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios