This week we went with our local homeschool group to see the Pharaoh exhibit. We had a fantastic tour guide that weaved a tale of jello brains (how they got the brains out of mummies) and dung beetles.
Then we went to the Military Museum. That was more fascinating than I thought it would be. To see our state's role in both World Wars and Civil War along with Vietnam was such an eye opener.
As I was in the museum, I reflected that we were viewing the worst of man (wars, greed, chaos) and the best of man (courage, self sacrifice, honor). The museum and artifacts really spoke to my children and me. Even though seeing mummies and scarabs were very interesting, the simplicity of the military museum moved all of us and left an indelible impression.
Finally, tonight was our Taekwondo testing. T made her third recommended for third degree black belt. Woohoo!
And S made her green belt. We are so proud of them all!

14 joyful people left comments:
Sounds like a lovely start to summer, Karen. Congrats to your martial artists! We are hugely into mummy books here funnily - boys are full of stories about taking brains out nostrils. Shudder. George's one year was bittersweet. Children enjoyed celebrating their baby brother's special day. I had other sad news - could email you offline. Job 7:11.
I love museum's! I don't think I've ever been to the military museum, is that around here?
Zack and my Moms took our younger brother's to both the museums and I know they enjoyed them (some more than others=)!
Yea for your family! Summer time is a great time! :)
I enjoy going to museums, and I think I would have enjoyed the military museum more than the Pharaoh exhibit...
Have a great weekend, Karen! Praying for you!
I'm having a giveaway over at my blog if you'd like to enter.
F_U_N_! homeschooling can be sooooooo fun:) we just watched netflix movies about egyptian engineering and the dark ages (they mention a lot of the things we memorized with our timeline cards). active learning is so much more memorable!!!
your family has been busy. what a learning experience your field trips to the mummies exhibit and the military Museum must have been.
:D i'm trying to post the link straight to the movies.... don't know if it'll work ;?
go to "watch instantly" then click on "documentary" then look for "historical documentaries" you'll find A MILLION! that will capture your interest :)
at this point i just clicked search for : Egypt: Engineering and Empire
and it came up. it's history channel
then i searched for : The Dark Ages
it is also history channel.
you could just use the search engine up front but then you'd miss out on the hundreds of other amazing topics which i haven't mentioned but fully intend to torture my kids with :D
be forewarned. they are quite gory and mystical as one might expect. i did a lot of pausing and explaining to my kids! but even my almost 6 year old enjoyed them.
let me know if you run across anything amazing while you're looking too!
Looks like ya'll had a wonderful time. You children are beautiful. Sending you hugs.
Wow what a great start to summer. We are getting ready for a big trip and that will be our official start to summer.
Oh Karen, Thank you so much for praying for me. It means more to me than you will ever know. I have felt so blessed to have found you out in this bog land. I told my mom the other day I would love to meet all of you have blessed me through this tough time and just be able to hug each other and cry and laugh and thank God for where He has taken us.
Also the Lord will get you there in His time.
Thanks so much, Susan
Summer. We've been working on an abbreviated schedule but not because of summer, just because I've been lazy. :)
Tell S that her side kick looks very, very nice!
Looks like so much fun!!! I know this sounds weird since I have never actually gotten the honor of seeing you in person, but based on your profile picture, I really just marvel at how much your girls look like you!!
Beautiful!!
xoxo
I bet that Pharaoh exhibit was neat!
Post a Comment