Grief is like a tangled web of emotions.
This is what I gleaned from my second session in my grief share class two months ago.
And, oh, they were so right on.
I am approaching five months and I thought I was doing well. I am laughing again. I am slowly getting back into the activities I had before Rebekah went to Heaven. But with the change of the seasons, all these emotions are bubbling up that seemed to have been settled for a while. I am starting to grieve all my other losses besides precious Rebekah.
This time last year was when Dale and I went to the doctor for our first ultrasound. The doctor had the screen turned toward her and just smiled as she let us know that I was indeed pregnant.
Then she turned the screen toward us. There was not one little jelly bean on the screen, but two. She was perplexed. We were perplexed. The one on the bottom of the screen was a little bigger and we saw faint movement (or at least we thought we did). The top jelly bean, Rebekah, had a perfect heartbeat. What did this mean?
My doctor thought that there were twins and the second baby was not making it. My heart was crushed. Here we saw our little faith baby, but also saw a baby that didn't seem to be making it. I just wanted to reach in my womb and just love that baby. To tell him/her to keep fighting. To stay here with me.
By the next ultrasound, only Rebekah showed up on the screen. We don't know for sure if that was a twin, but in my heart I believe it was. So I grieved and my heart ached. And my heart aches tonight as I remember that loss.
I love this quote that I read today:
"When the dust of my trouble settles, God is standing there next to me, and He has dust on His shoulders because He's been there all along." --Dr Paul David Tripp
God was there with me in that ultrasound room when we received the news that the second baby didn't seem to be making it.
He was there with me when nine months later we received the news that there was no movement.
He is here with me now as my heart is heavy and the memories are rushing in.
He will be with me tomorrow as I get up and start a new day.
But tonight I wonder....
"How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?" Psalm 13:2

16 joyful people left comments:
Oh, Karen, thank you for sharing your thoughts and struggles so openly...Please know that I am praying for you much today...You are such a sweet friend.
I'm so very thankful that one day (I believe soon) Jesus will wipe away all tears, and we will get to see how His plan for our lives ends up! He knows where you are right now...
What a beautiful quote, Karen. I love it. I am so sorry about Rebekah's twin. I never knew and I am so sorry for that heartache as well. Lots of love. xxx
Karen, I'll be praying for your roller coaster of grieve; for His strength to walk you through it and quiet your troubled soul.
That is a lovely quote. I am sorry about Rebekah's twin. My heart aches for you. Of course you are grieving two losses. Five months was probably the most difficult for me so far. Not sure why, but it just was. Thinking of you!!
Karen I feel so blessed everytime i read your blog. You are so honest and it helps me more than you know. It has been almost five months since I lost my little boy and i have started feeling angry again. Just this morning I sat in the bathroom and cried and felt like there wass omething wrong with me. God truly put you in my path. I can't even begin to remember how i found your blog, I guess the lord found it for me.
I will pray for you as you walk your journey.
I'm so sorry for you and your loss. I can't imagine that it will ever completely go away. I know that you know - one day, you will hold her, hug & kiss her...And Jesus loves her even more, think how well taken care of she is. Prayers for you.
Friend, I wonder the same thing...
I'm so sorry this is an even harder time. (Saying it's a hard time doesn't sound right...every day is hard, it's just how we deal with it, I think.)
I didn't know about Rebekah's twin either, and again, I'm sorry for your heartache.
Lifting you up right now!
Grief is indeed like a tangled web of emotions! March is the month of my sweet daughter's birthday. Even after almost 12 years March comes and I think about her birth, her birthdays and wonder what she would be like now turning 33. I am so sorry for your losses. I can testify that God will continue to comfort you and give you the strength you need each day...He does it for me daily.
I am SO sorry!! I cried the other night for no other reason than someone explaining their 4 month ultrasound and seeing the baby's sex. That's when we lost our little girl - and I just wept all night thinking of my last sonogram showing no movement. My mind knows her heart is healed in heaven - but will mine still ache here?
death was not the original plan! And God knows your hurt! Praise Him we all will be reunited one day!!
Hugging you !!
Stef
;;;;;; tears and ((((hugs))))
I'm sorry Karen. I'm praying for you :(
love <3
Amy
I'm speechless, Karen, but I'm praying, praying, praying. Many hugs.
hugs to you...what a beautiful post! His mercy and compassion are so tender!
Oh I'm so sorry you are in this place right now. My heart just went out to you last night in our Bible study, and I want you to know I am praying for you.
You have such a beautiful heart Karen, my heart is aching for you. I just said a prayer for you, that the Lord would fill you with His love and peace and overwhelm you with His presence.
Praying for you Karen (came here through Trisha's blog)
Post a Comment